Macomb Police release details on the suspect involved in a bomb scare

Macomb Police have released details on a suspect involved in a bomb scare on Friday.

Police say that Jamie Toland, 42 of Macomb was arrested and charged with Disorderly Conduct and Criminal Trespassing.

Police say they received a call from the Wesley Village Senior Retirement Community Friday morning at 8:55 a.m. Staff at Wesley contacted the police after Toland entered the property. Police say Toland had previously been banned from the property for making threats.

Toland walked away from Wesley Village prior to the police arriving but was located to the north of Wesley Village walking north in the 700 block of Candy Lane.

Police said they were easily able to take Toland into custody and left a backpack he was carrying on the side of the road. Due to prior incidents of pipe bombs being made by Toland and threats he had made to Wesley Village, it was determined that the Illinois Secretary of State Police Bomb Squad would be called to investigate the backpack.

During the investigation, officers viewed the video at Wesley Village and determined that Toland had not left any contraband in the facility. For that reason, Wesley Village was not evacuated.

Friday afternoon shortly before 1 p.m. the Illinois Secretary of State Police Bomb Squad gave the all clear and stated there was no hazard in the backpack.

Police said they were executing a search warrant at Toland’s home where he lives with his father. Based on the results of that search, additional charges could be filed.

Police say Toland had once applied for a job at Wesley Village.

This is an on-going investigation, police said.

adwpadmin

adwpadmin

More News

WGEM STORMTRAK FORECAST
Connect with WGEM
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content