Firefighters remind parents about cooking safety

With kids about to head back in school, The Hannibal Fire Department is warning parents about letting children cook at home alone.

They said the number one cause for home fires are kitchen-related incidents. Firefighters recommend children not use a stove or oven without adult supervision. They said kids are more likely to forget about cooking and leave food unattended which could lead to a fire.

"Just to go out and buy them some snacks that they don’t have to cook on the main stove. Maybe something that they can do, if they’re age appropriate, that they can microwave," said firefighter Mark Kempker

So, if they want to prepare food it’s best that they use a microwave or eat a snack that doesn’t have to be cooked at all.
 

adwpadmin

adwpadmin

More News

WGEM STORMTRAK FORECAST
Connect with WGEM
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content