Tri-State doctors are talking cooking safety after a massive ground beef recall.
The recall is linked to E. coli and is to blame for at least one death and 18 people getting sick. The bacteria was found in 133,000 pounds of ground chuck nationwide. While the CDC reports the outbreak appears to be over, a Hannibal Regional doctor said you can prevent infections by follow some simple cooking guidelines.
“Cook the meat properly, to the internal temperature of 160 degrees, you would be surprised to know that one in four burgers turn brown without reaching an internal temperature of 160 degrees,” said Dr. Pranav Parikh, Hannibal Regional Chief Medical Officer.
The CDC said children and people with compromised immune systems are more likely to be victims of E. coli, and symptoms develop 2 to 8 days after consuming the bacteria.