Firefighters remind public importance of carbon monoxide detectors

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

A family’s escape from their home early Tuesday morning has Quincy firefighters warning the public to check your carbon monoxide detectors.

QFD said the carbon monoxide levels in the family’s house were so high, their chance of survival after eight hours was unlikely. But their carbon monoxide detectors alerted them, saving their lives.

Firefighters said it’s an important reminder, make sure your carbon monoxide detector is properly working. They said you should change the batteries every six months.

“The placement of that detector has to be within 15 feet of any sleeping area so if your bedrooms are all within 15 feet of each other, you can have one there in the hallway if that’s where you commonly sleep but if they’re separated by more than 15 feet you need to have two or more,” said Capt. Thurman Munger with the Quincy Fire Department.

QFD said you should change the smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries November 4th, when we change our clocks.

Brett Knese

Brett Knese

Multi-Media Journalist at WGEM News.

More News

WGEM STORMTRAK FORECAST
Connect with WGEM
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content