Skip to Content

Kid’s toy safety warning ahead of holidays

Going in to the holidays, it’s important to make sure gifts going to small children don’t end up as choking hazards.

Officials at Hannibal Regional said age appropriateness and safety play a big role in choosing toys for kids. Looking for safety labels to make sure toys have been screened for small swallow-able objects is the easiest way to make sure they don’t end up in your kid’s mouth. They’re stressing the importance of contacting a doctor if you think your child swallowed something they shouldn’t.

“If they’re afraid they swallowed something at any time, they should always call to either the after hours number associated with their pediatrician, or poison control is always a good access too if you’re unsure of what the object or substance was,” said Hannibal Regional Hospital’s Dr. Julia Roberts.

Another thing to look out for: small watch batteries which could easily be deadly when swallowed.

Frank Healy

Multimedia Journalist at WGEM

Skip to content