Is Quincy doing enough to address dilapidated properties?

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

More properties are added to Quincy’s fix or flatten list, but is the city doing enough to get rid of these local eyesores?

Aldermen approved 12 properties at Monday’s city council meeting. Quincy’s 2nd Ward Alderman Jeff Bergman thinks 12 properties isn’t enough.

City officials say it costs $8,000-$12,000 per property to tear down and right now the city is doing what they can from a financial standpoint.

However, Alderman Bergman compares these dilapidated properties to “cancer” for neighborhoods and he’s vowing to get something done.

“I do not want to walk away after being on a council, hopefully 12 years, and look back and realize I didn’t make a difference,” said Bergman. “That we didn’t’ fix it. That we didn’t change it. That we’re doing the same thing we’ve always been doing and the problem keeps getting worse.”

Last year 20 properties were addressed within the city. Those were paid for in part by the $4 public safety fee on the water bill. That fee rolled off earlier this year, so the city is back to dealing with how they’re going to pay to demolish these eye-sores.

Wards 1, 2 and 7 are where a lot of the blight properties are located. So right now, Bergman says the officials in those wards are working together to come up with a way to hold property owners accountable.

Properties added to Fix or Flatten Program:

1706 Oak

525-527 N. 3rd

717 S. 17th

635-637 Lind

316 Ohio

1222 Lind

1433 Monroe

610 S. 7th

416 Oak

632 Spruce

903 Kentucky

1112 N. 7th.

Kaylee Pfeiferling

Kaylee Pfeiferling

Multimedia Journalist

More News

WGEM STORMTRAK FORECAST
Connect with WGEM
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content