Skip to Content

Tuesday morning fire at local Quincy business

QUINCY (WGEM) — Quincy firefighters battled a fire located inside a business in downtown Quincy Tuesday morning.

Assistant Fire Chief James Pioch said crews were called to E. Best Plumbing & Heating Supply on 628 Jersey just before 8 a.m.

Fire officials said that when they arrived no smoke could be seen coming from the outside, but as soon as firefighters got in, they saw large flames near the windows.

“We called for an extra truck based on the size of the fire, but when the extra crews made entry, they found out it wasn’t as big as they thought and we extinguished very quickly,” Pioch said.

Crews are  working to clear out the smoke throughout the building and officials believe it will be clear by the afternoon.

Pioch said the fire started in the ceiling of the building from an over heated electrical ballast.

Pioch said it was up to the business to decide when or if it will reopen on Tuesday.

The only damage was to the electrical ballast and some of the carpeting in the area, Pioch said.

Fire officials said no injuries were reported in the incident.

Don Dwyer

Don Dwyer is a Morning Anchor/Reporter at WGEM.

Skip to content