Skip to Content

Hannibal family without a home after fire

UPDATE: Hannibal Fire Department Investigator, Mark Kempker reported Thursday afternoon that the fire was caused while the occupant of the home was working on a moped engine in the basement of the residence.

HANNIBAL (WGEM) — Hannibal firefighters responded to the report of a structure fire Wednesday night on the 400 block of Olive Street.

A family is without a home after the fire broke out just after 11 p.m.

Fire officials said the original call came for crews to respond to a motorcycle/ATV fire but they believe that fire spread to the home.

All three fire stations then responded to the scene at the 409 Olive Street.

When crews arrived, the back portion of the home was engulfed in flames.

Crews then got the fire under control after several minutes. Officials said only one person was home at the time and he made it out safe.

“I did make contact with the son of the owner of the occupancy. He advised there was no one home at the time but he was carrying a couple pets with him at the time when I made contact,” said Hannibal Assistant Fire Chief Clinton Conrad.

After crews put out the flames, firefighters spent a couple of hours watering down possible hot spots.

Officials said there is heavy smoke damage in the back of the home and becomes lesser towards the front of the home.

They smoke alarms were present, but not working properly and would like to remind citizens to make sure fire alarms are in working order and that all families have an escape plan and meeting place.

Author Profile Photo

Richard Denson

Richard Denson is the Morning Content Producer for WGEM News.

Skip to content