Skip to Content

Hannibal firefighters remind public of smoke alarm importance after fire

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

Firefighters in Hannibal said working smoke alarms played a big role in keeping a family safe after a fire torched the inside of their house early Saturday morning.

According to the Hannibal Fire Department, all five occupants made it out of the house at 2137 Grace Street without injury after investigators said an electrical malfunction in the attic sparked a fire around 5:30 a.m..

Firefighters said it took crews about 15 minutes to subdue the blaze which caused heavy damage to the upstairs.

Firefighters credit the smoke detectors with alerting the family and giving them enough time to all get out safely.

Firefighters said it's important for families to make sure all smoke detectors are in working order and to have an escape plan and meeting place.

Author Profile Photo

Blake Sammann

Blake Sammann is a reporter and weekend anchor at WGEM News.

Skip to content