Skip to Content

Experts explain insurance coverage for water damage, flooded homes

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

Due to the recent heavy rain fall, experts said it's important to know what's covered under your home insurance and what's not.

David Cain with Gem City Insurance in Quincy said there is a fine line between homeowners insurance and flood insurance.

He said it's important to know the difference between a sump pump malfunction verses water entering your home.

"Homeowners insurance will pretty much cover water that starts from inside the house, if we're talking about water damage," Cain said. "Flood insurance is anytime outside water goes in. So with heavy rains, that's usually going to be under flood."

Cain said while he doesn't recommend flood coverage for everyone, if you are having frequent problems with water coming into your home, you can contact your insurance agent about adding it to your coverage.

Kara Biernat

Kara Biernat is a MultiMedia Journalist for WGEM News.

Skip to content