QUINCY (WGEM) — The Adams County Courthouse will be closed to the public on Monday to allow for a deep cleaning after up to five employees of the Adams County Sheriff’s Office tested positive for COVID-19, according to county officials.
Sheriff Brian VonderHaar said the employees that tested positive include deputies, court security, and jail employees.
VonderHaar said several other employees were in quarantine awaiting test results.
"As of right now, we have plenty of coverage. We have been in contact with the Quincy Police Department and the Illinois State Police and that if our situation would get any worse they would be able to come in and assist us. But at this time, I believe we're going to be able to handle it just fine."Adams County Sheriff Brian VonderHaar
Officials state beginning on Tuesday the Adams County Courthouse and all county services provided within the building will have limited access to the public until further notice.
The West Vermont Street door will remain temporarily closed and there will be limited access to the West 5th Street entrance.
Information from county officials about how this will impact each office is outlined in detail below.
Adams County Circuit Clerk’s Office – 217-277-2100
- When possible please pay traffic citations or fines online. Information is available on the county website or call our office with any questions.
- You can also mail the office or use the dropbox located just inside the east Vermont entrance to the courthouse.
- When possible please pay child support/maintenance by check or money order payable to the recipient. Mail to our office or use dropbox.
- Passport applications are note being processed at this time.
Adams County Coroner’s Office – 217-277-2015
- Call ahead for an appointment, or call the non-emergency line at 217-222-9360.
Adams County Clerk & Recorder – 217-277-2150 (Clerk), 217-277-2126 (Recorder)
- Call the office or visit the website
- County Clerk - co.adams.il.us/countyclerk
- Vote by Mail applications can be sent to: email@example.com or mailed to the office.
- For Marriage License, Birth & Death Certificates citizens may schedule an appointment. Request forms will be found on the website.
- County Recorder - co.adams.il.us/recorder
- Call the office to schedule an appointment for research.
Eighth Judicial Circuit – 217-277-2100
All Courts of the 8th Judicial Circuit will be operating at a reduced capacity performing only essential functions. Until further notice, the following court cases will be held as scheduled, with appearances expected for all litigants unless travel or health exemptions apply:
- All matters with individuals in-custody including bond court
- Criminal felony matters except probation and payment reviews
- Juvenile temporary custody (shelter care)
- Juvenile detention hearings
- Petitions for Emergency Orders of Protection
- Hearings for Plenary Orders of Protection
- Emergency hearings on family matters (D and F cases) as scheduled by the Court
- Statutory Summary Suspension Hearings
- Mental Health Hearings
- Any other emergency hearing as scheduled by the Judge assigned
If you are an attorney or litigant and have a scheduled case, appointment or are otherwise required to appear at the courthouse in connection with court case, but are unable to appear because of the above restrictions, please contact the Adams County Circuit Clerk’s office at 217-277-2100.
Adams County Probation Department – 217-277-2170
Clients should not report to the Probation Department unless they have a scheduled appointment. To schedule an appointment call 217-277-2170, or contact your individual probation officer.
Adams County Public Defender – 217-277-2195
Please contact the office to make an appointment by phone.
Regional Office of Education #1 – 217-277-2080
ROE #1 has suspended walk-in services at all ROE #1 offices until further notice. If you have any pressing questions or issues, please contact ROE #1 by phone at 217-277-2080 and/or e-mail roe1.net/aboutus/contact-us/.
Adams County Sheriff’s Office – 217-277-2200
The Adams County Sheriff has suspended all in-person visits to the Sheriff’s Department. Any service requests can be done by phone, however for an emergency dial 9-1-1.
Adams County States Attorney – 217-277-2225
Appointments can be made by calling 217-277-2225. Information can also be found on the website at co.adams.il.us/statesattorney.
Supervisor of Assessments – 217-277-2135
Contact the office to make an appointment by phone.
Adams County Treasurer – 217-277-2245
Payment other than in-person at the Treasurer’s Office is strongly advised. Requested alternative payment methods include:
- A check via U.S. mail to Adams County Treasurer, 507 Vermont St. Suite G12, Quincy, IL 62301
- Depositing your check in the tax payment drop box outside the 5th Street Courthouse entrance
- Bill paycheck through your bank.
General information can also be found by visiting the Adams County website at co.adams.il.us.